Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Call it "Facebook Syndrome"

I had over 300 posts over at my Wordpress blog Strange Vistas, over three years worth of writing and photos regarding wargaming, roleplaying games, and building terrain.
But in some ways, it had begun to be a bit too much.
On Google Chrome, you can see the most common eight websites you visit, and my blog was always the top spot. Facebook was number two. Why? Because I was constantly checking the blog to see how many people went to it each day. It was half narcissism, half anxiety regarding how popular my posts were, wondering if people really cared what I did with my hobby time.
The complete illogic of that previous sentence, and the accompanying awareness of how much time in front of a computer that represented finally sank in. So I came here, to Blogger, in many ways because they don't have all that data available. It may seem bizarre in an increasingly technologically-connected world, but I wanted less connection. I wanted not to know. I wanted not to care. I wanted my hobby to be fun for me, and not to worry if I had 35 or 350 people see the photos.
It may seem an odd way to assert self worth and claim in the process a bit of my own time and energy, but that's what it is. I'll leave up Strange Vistas, but I'll also start putting content here and on The Army Collector as well.
As a final note, I'm going to be consolidating my many handles to "WQRobb." It combines my name and "Witterquick" and is six digits long, which I need on TMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment